The State of Mississippi, Department of Public Safety is committed to helping victims of violent crime.
In 2006, the Department of Public Safety (DPS), Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI) implemented the Victim Assistance Program to assist crime victims. Regional Victim Coordinators are available to provide assistance to crime victims, MBI Investigators and Officers of local law enforcement agencies requesting MBI assistance. It is the intent of the program to offer direct services to violent crime victims as their case progresses through the investigative and criminal justice process.
How to request assistance:
Law enforcement agencies in need of assistance from the MBI should contact their local MHP/MBI substation. Once MBI officially partners with local law enforcement and obtains sufficient case knowledge, the victim coordinator is contacted and briefed. It is then determined when and where the victim coordinator will contact the family.
Why use a victim coordinator?
- Immediate assistance to crime victims
- Liaison between multiple jurisdictions
- Assist victims with invoking their rights
- Provide victims with information and referrals
- Relay case information and provide updates
- Return property upon release from evidence
- Provide notice regarding case disposition
- Court accompaniment
- Assistance in requesting Victim Compensation
Troop D, Greenwood (662) 453-4515
Troop E, Batesville (662) 563-6400
Troop F, New Albany (662) 534-8619
Troop C, Jackson (601) 987-1568
Troop G, Starkville (662) 323-5314
Troop H, Meridian (601) 693-1926
Troop J, Hattiesburg (601) 582-3529
Troop K, Gulfport (228) 539-4881
Troop M, Brookhaven (601) 833-7811