Driver Information

If you need to know how to obtain a commercial driver’s license or if you are not sure what class you need, please refer to the information below:

The State of Mississippi coordinates licensing regulations and procedures with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDLs) are only issued after the driver has completed and passed knowledge and skills tests (relevant to the type of vehicle that will be operated). A CDL is needed if the driver is operating a vehicle in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce.

Class Categories

  • Class A
    Any combination of vehicles with a (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided by the GVWR of the vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Class B
    Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
  • Class C
    Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either design to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.
  • Class D
    All other vehicles or combination of vehicles which are not included in Class A, Class B or Class C and for which a Commercial License is required to be issued as provided by Section 63-1-43.

Endorsements and Restrictions

Drivers who operate special types of commercial motor vehicles also need to pass additional tests to obtain any of the following endorsements on their CDL:

  • T – Double/Triple Trailers (knowledge test only)
  • P – Passenger (knowledge and skills test)
  • N – Tank Vehicle (knowledge test only)
  • H – Hazardous Materials (knowledge test only)
  • X – Combination of Tank Vehicle and Hazardous Materials

Commercial Driver’s License - Additional Information